Friday, December 31, 2010

Meap

Here is my design of papercraft model of Meap, from the cartoon Phineas and Ferb.

Here is the design, based on this reference picture.  I'm not sure how to model the mouth part in 3D, so this is what I have so far.

Here's the Pepakura stuff stuff.  It's really a simple model, by which I mean the geometry is not tricky at all, but it'll probably still be kinda tedious to physically build the model.

For reasons unknown, I have decided to revisit this spiral kind of zipper-style glue tabs.  I was thinking this pattern would force me to slow down and do just one glue tab at a time, thereby improving the build quality overall.  Well, it turns out to be slow to cut out and slow to glue indeed, and it actually made my glue-tabbing less precise than had I not done it this way.  So yeah, that was stupid.

Well, it's done now.  There's nothing particularly difficult about the building of this model, but somehow I still did rather poorly by my standards and didn't micro the details as nigh-perfect as I would like.  I blame the stupid glue tabs mentioned previously, which probably caused me to be rather impatient.

Anyway, front view.  Here I have one of the eyes is rotated a bit different from in the .pdo file, which is obviously incorrect, but not incorrect enough for me to bother fixing it.

Front/side view

Sorry Candace, it's not a Bango-Ru.

You may now download the Meap papercraft model at the Downloads section of this blog.