Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ducky Momo

By special request, and because I love the character too, here are my design and construction of the papercraft model of Ducky Momo, from Phineas and Ferb.



So yeah!  Ducky Momo!!

Anyway, I am basing the design on the Ducky Momo suit Candace was wearing.

Here's something peculiar when I was working on the design.  On the left is ver1.0, which was really bugging me but I wasn't sure what the hell was wrong with it for quite a while.  And then I finally noticed it was missing that big gap of space between the eyeballs.  So, yeah.

And then to Pepakura.  Since I'm paying for printing service now, I've been keen on not wasting any paper.  Here are the parts enlarged and then enlarged again until I have nearly fully maxed out the two pages.  Yeah!!

The dimensions:
Height: 16.1 cm
Width: 9.5 cm
Depth: 11.2 cm

Okay, I have physically built the above model.  Two things are noted, but no actions are yet taken to do something about them.

First, there are a couple of glue tabs that are just a little too big, so I had to scissors them down a bit.  Since my OCD likes how all the glue tabs are of the same size, and I like the current size, I'll make no revisions on the glue tab sizes in the .pdo file.  I'll leave the glue tabs as they are, and as a surprise for when you get to them!

Second, although I had no trouble with the closing situations purposely designed, there are a couple of them here that had me wonder if things would've been easier if I had instead gone with the alternating zipper style.  Of course, "easier" is a matter of opinion and personal preference.  Well, maybe I'll try the alternating zipper style next time.  Meanwhile, my preference stays in the .pdo file.  The trick is to take it slowly, no more than 1 or 2 glue tabs at a time, or 3 or 4 if you are greedy.

Anyway, the most tricky part is probably getting the model to stand upright and balanced.  I basically squeezed two huge drops of tacky glue and kept adjusting the legs and had it lean on that bottle o' tacky glue for extra support.  So yeah, it's all about the glue!!

Oh also, this glue spillage tutorial helped me out a lot.  I barely got any stickiness on my fingers this time!  Yeah!!

And now here it is.  Ducky Momo!!  It's yellower than it looks in the picture.

Side view.

A close-up on the tail, of which there are not many good reference pictures, so I kinda just tried something and here it is.  I think it's a pretty good 3D analogue of how it looks in 2D.

Suddenly... Agent D?!?!

You may download the Ducky Momo papercraft model in the Download section of this blog now.